ESCAPE WEST TO EASTCycling and mountain biking In Sri Lanka is an excellent way to get pleasure and glimpse of all the nook and corner in small Teardrop Island. Our two wheel tours not to be paddling tours. Our Green foot cycling tours allow you to do great cycling and covering cultural heritage sits, mountains, valleys, tropical rain forest, inland lakes, reservoirs, paddy, Rubber plantation, and the magnificent hill country past tea estates and gushing waterfalls.
Furthermore learning and experience authentic culture and impending to a unique way of life and it dates backs to 2500 years. . They may then welcome you with a warm smile and a cool drink as you catch your breath. You may have challenge network of main roads and innumerable country roads, gravel paths, foot paths, cart tracks, dirt tracks and estate tracks can be added in your experience.
• Lie on the palm-fringed sandy beaches of the Chilaw
• Go on a jeep safari through the jungles of Wilpattu
• Packed your briefcase with unforgettable memorise of Rajanganaya village
• Explore unbelievable man made creature in Anuradhapura
• Busk in the sun in Nilaveli
• Visit Ritigala archeologically place.
• experience Sri Lanka’s rich historical and cultural past with a visit to the Sigiriya rock fortress built by renegade King Kashyapa in the 5th century AD.
• Explore Polonnaruwa’s ancient ruins
• Stay in unique ancestral luxurious city of Kandy
• Experience a part of Sri Lankan custom neighbouring to Agro culture
Arrival - Chilaw
64kms and approximately 01 - 02 hours journey please note that visits, sightseeing and stops are not considered calculating the duration.
• We are at your service on arrival at the recently refurbished Modern and State of the art International Airport. Representative from Cycling escape Sri Lanka will meet & assist you at the airport. And transfer to Chilaw.
• Check in to Hotel.
• After a long journey leisure and relax at Chilaw.
• In the evening, enjoy some cocktails with you dedicated guide at the hotel as you get to know everyone else on the tour, followed by a wonderful dinner.
Chilaw - Wilpattu
Cycling distance - Approx. 60 km (From Chilaw to Puttalam) you will be transported a further 66kms to Wilpattu via vehicle.
Time – Approx. 6 - 7 hours journey please note that visits, sightseeing and stops are not include the time duration.
Grading – Soft
• Following a delicious breakfast at your hotel and you will be transferred to Wilpattu National park, Wilpattu National Park is largest national park in Sri Lanka.
• Evening safari at Wilpattu National park.
• Overnight stay at the Wilpattu.
Wilpattu National Park, one of the largest and oldest wild life sanctuary in Sri Lanka span an area of no less than 131,693 with altitude ranging between the sea-level and 152 meters. The unique feature of this park is the existence of "Willus" (Natural Lakes) - Natural, sand-rimmed water basins or depressions that fill with rainwater, Located in the Northwest coast lowland dry zone of Sri Lanka. while the period of drought is only during the months of May to early September, the main rainy season is during September to December with the heavy downpours of north eastern monsoon; inter monsoon season visits the park March and April. Wilpattu is among the top national parks world renowned for its Leopard and Sloth bears population. Countless species of birds can be found and the park plays host to numerous winter migrants from November to March, while menacing crocodiles top the list of reptiles.
The park renowned for its history, The Mahavansa records that in 543 BC Prince Vijaya landed at Tambapanni now known as Kudrimalai Point (Horse Point) married Kuveni and founded the Sinhala nation.
Wilpattu - Anuradhapura
Cycling distance - Approx.60 km (From Wilpattu- Rajanganaya)
Time – Approx. 7 - 8 hours journey Please note that visits, sightseeing and stops are not include the time duration.
Grading – Soft
• After your breakfast cycling to Rajanganaya Farm Village and Tank.
• Visit Hatthikuchchi Ancient Temple Complex.
• Experience Paddy, Chena, and many agree related locations and you can work with them.
• You can lake fishing with local people and using their traditional fishing rod.
• Taste local food with the village people.
• Catamaran ride with the village fisherman.
• Optional, you can taste fish BBQ. Village people teach you how to make a fish BBQ as a Sri Lankan way.
• Optional Evening ‘’Pedura’’ folk songs program and rational dancing experience.
• Heading back to Anuradhapura for your stay place.
The untouched of glorious village area is located boundary of North central province, 190 km away from Colombo. This countryside compressed with immensity of activities. Ideal location to discover world renowned ancient city of Anuradhapura, Kala Oya Tank , massive Rajanganaya Tank, Wilpattu National Park, Sri Lanka largest national park. Hatthikuchchi, Largest ancient rock resemble complex and vast of agro activities.
The diversity of the natural environment and local communities offers impressive experience for your holiday. Green foot travels recognized these destinations and build up with Rajanganaya communities. Our main target is develop responsible tourism and generate better income for local people and also conserve environment. Majority of the people in this area engage in agricultural or related activities such as paddy, vegetable, fruit, Chena cultivation, dairy farming as main sources of live hoods. Small holding cultivation is the main source of income for many households in which not only men and women but also children get involved in farming and related activities. They are the people with traditional knowledge and practices of traditional healing methods, folk music and dances handed down from generation to generation, greenish paddy field and also succulent fruits, delicious vegetable, dry soon climate and landscapes, multi culture and multi ethnicity, mouth-watering cuisines and talented and skilful village communities with courteous disposition will make exclusive holiday for you.
A un-earth and rich ancient temple complex Hatthikuchchi, Hatthikuchchi and Rajanganaya Ruins located North central province. One of these inscriptions indicates the oldest name of thee place as “Hatthikuchchi” in this large rock figure of an elephant’s head after which the name was given. The premise is 300 acres in extent within are architecture structure like the “Phoyageya” the temple of the relics, the circular structure and the pond plus 38 caves. The proud of the history dates back to 1st century BC.
It is believed that King Sirisangabo who was living in this forest after renouncing the Crown, in around 244 AD, cut his own head and offered it to a villager, to be handed over to the ruling King Gotabhaya at that time as the King had ordered to bring the head of Sirisangabo to him fearing Sirisangabo would overthrow him become King again. There are monuments to represent his tomb at this temple area.
• Enjoy delicious breakfast at the hotel.
• Visit at Anuradhapura ancient city (World Heritage Site).
• Evening leisure and relax at the hotel.
• Overnight stay at the Anuradhapura.
Ancient glory of Anuradhapura was a beginning of the Sri Lankan Buddhist history and great civilizations. Anuradhapura became the capital of Sri Lanka in the 4th century BC. Sri Lankan history from the 4th century BC up to 10th century A.D is generally referred as “Anuradhapura” period. When introducing Buddhism in 247 BC start a unique culture and great civilizations. Indo-Aryan Sinhalese has produced unbelievable feat architecture and constructions. Such as massive Dagobas, the ornate pleasure gardens and palaces and exquisite sculpture which abounds. The unique feature of Sri Lankan stupa (Dagobs) is which enshrined relics of the Buddha and were objects of veneration.
The Sri Lankan ancient cities are also the centres of the irrigation work of the past. Massive reservoirs built to collect the rain water. There are many important places at Anuradhapura. Sri Maha Bodhi (The sacred Bo Tree), Ruwanweli Stupa the magnificent Stupa in Anuradhapura, Abhayagiri Stupa Anuradhapura, Jethavana Stupa and museum, Magnificent stone carving of Isurumuniya Lovers, Thuparamaya the very first Stupa built in Ceylon,The magnificent Twin Ponds of Anuradhapura, Mirisawetiya Stupa Sri Lanka, Magul Uyana, Rathna Prasadaya, Vessagiri, Nuwarawawa, Anuradhapura folk museum.
Anuradhapura - Nilaveli
Cycling distance - Approx. 60 km (From Anuradhapura - Horowpothana) you will be transported a further 52kms to Nilaveli via vehicle.
Time – Approx. 5 - 6 hours journey Please note that visits, sightseeing and stops are not include the time duration.
Grading – Soft
• After your breakfast cycling to Nilaveli.
• Visit Mihintale Archeologically Place. Stone bridge and Mahakanadarawa Tank.
• After your long ride rest of your evening on the beach.
• Overnight stay at the Nilaveli.
Glorious sands powered your foot, wind and clear water indulges to fresh breath, Crisp air while feeling the sea breeze does a welcoming dance around you. It is Located 16 km north-west of Trincomalee on the east costal in Sri Lanka. The Sandy belt is trimming neck less of white and turquoise blue to east costal belt.
April to October is the best ‘season’ as it were, for all beach lovers to go diving, snorkelling and surfing in these clear waters. Nilaveli is the ultimate getaway for those who wish for quiet bliss on a tropical heaven, far away from the cares of life. Just off shore lies Pigeon Island that has superb coves home to the Blue Rock pigeon and a shale beach for sunbathers looking to escape for the day. At weekends, the island is noisy and full of locals partying. Nilaveli communities are extremely friendly and many will wave as they work in the local farms and tobacco fields. The hot springs at Kanniya are just 8km away and known for their therapeutic properties. There is some controversy as to their Hindu origin but the seven natural hot spring wells each have a different temperature. Not for swimmers but be sure to get wet.
• Breakfast at the hotel. • Full day relax on the beautiful Nilaveli Beach. • Optional, boat safari to Pigeon Island. • Overnight stay at Nilaveli with sea breeze.
Nilaveli - Sigiriya
Cycling distance - Approx.60 km (From Nilaveli - Sigiriya) you will be transported a further 15kms to Sigiriya via vehicle.
Time – Approx. 5 - 6 hours journey Please note that visits, sightseeing and stops are not include the time duration.
Grading – Soft
• After your breakfast cycling to Ritigala.
• Visit Ritigala Archeologically Place.
• Visit Sigiriya Rock Fortress.
• Optional do an evening safari at Hurulu Eco Park.
• Overnight stay at the Sigiriya.
Sigiriya is one of Asia’s major archaeological sites, Sigiriya represent a distinctive concentration of fifth –century urban planning, architecture, gardening, engineering, hydraulics and art, centred on a massive rock rising 200 meters above the surrounding plain surgery, located in the Matale district near to Dambulla. It can be reached through along Colombo-Habarana highway. Sigiriya location is one of the considerable natural beauty and historical interest, an area of settlement lying between the cultural triangle of Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, and Kandy. The Sigiriya plan still retains much of its forest, cover, and many of its present village settlements and man-made village reservoirs date back to the first millennium B.C. The Archaeological Wonder of Sri Lankan City Planning, Arts, Gardens aping, Engineering, Hydraulic Technology and Defence of the 5th Century AD are Landmarks of Sigiriya.
One of the important aspects of the archaeology of Sigiriya is that it is one of the best-preserved and most elaborate urban sites in South Asia from the first millennium A.D
The Apsara Painting
The paintings would have covered most of the western face of the rock, covering an area 140 meters long and 40 meters high. There are references in the Graffiti to 500 ladies in these paintings.
The Boulder Garden Painting
This was that formed the boulder garden at the time of Sigiriya monasteries, a significant fragment of painting can be seen in at least five of these. Those are the Royal Garden, Water Garden, and the Miniature Water Garden, the Terraced Garden, the Mirror Wall, The Lion Staircase and the Palace.
Sigiriya - Polonnaruwa
Cycling distance - Approx. 55km (From Sigiriya to Polonnaruwa)
Time – Approx. 4 - 5 hours
Grading – Soft and Moderate
• Following a delicious breakfast at your hotel and you will be transferred to Polonnaruwa Ancient City.
• En route visit Sigiriya Rock Fortress.
• Optional Hiriwadunna village tour, Elephant back ride and bullock card ride.
• Optional do a evening safari at Kaudulla National Park.
• Overnight stay at the Polonnaruwa.
Polonnaruwa, The medieval capital of Sri Lanka from the eleventh to the end of the first quarter of the thirteenth century A.D. is situated in the dry zone of the North-central province. During the first millennium A.D, when Sri Lanka’s capital Anuradhapura, was flourishing, Polonnaruwa served as a fortified outpost (Kadavurunuwara) where the Sinhala garrisons camped during period Anuradhapura. Polonnaruwa was a strategic location because of Mahaweli River.
The principle groups of monuments rising up the city of Polonnaruwa. Visitors are staring from the southern entrance to the site and progressing to north. Potgulvehera monastery, The citadel and place complex, The quadrangle, Manikvehera monastery complex, Alahanaparivena, artefacts and. inscription, Galvihara, The North Temple, Thawhindhu Temple, The garden of Polonnaruwa.
Polonnaruwa - Kandy
Cycling distance - Approx.60 km (From Polonnaruwa to Laggala) you will be transported a further 14kms to Kandy via vehicle.
Time – Approx. 5 - 6 hours
Grading – Moderate and hard
• Following a delicious breakfast at your hotel and you will start your cycling to Laggala.
• Visit Temple of Tooth Relic.
• Experience traditional Sri Lankan dancing highlights.
• Optional visit Peradeniya Botanical Garden and Oak Ray wood carving.
• Overnight stay at Kandy.
The last capital of the Shinhala king, Kandy is remarkable for the natural beauty of its setting in a peaceful wooded valley overlooking a vast artificial lake. Strategically nestled amidst three mountain ranges and known as the gateway to the hill country, Kandy was initially built in this location as a natural fortress against attack. Kandy was not an easy target for the foreign invaders who could gain the control of coastal areas of the island without too much loss. Kandy’s main architectural monuments date mainly from the 19th Century when King Sri Vikrama Rajasinha, the last King of Kandy, constructed many new buildings. At the time of the eventual surrender of Kandy to British Rule in 1815, King Rajasinha was captured, imprisoned and finally deported to India where he died in 1832. The Palace buildings, Shrines and the British period building give it a special Character, while religious importance of the Tooth relic and the annual procession of the Dalada Perahera contribute a dynamism and unique culture importance to the historical hill capital.
The geographical location of the Kandy was very important in creating a natural defence strategy. The city was built in a valley surrounded by three mountain ranges: Udawattakele to the east, The Hanthana range on one side and the Bahiravakanda the other. The river Mahaweli, flowing toward the north-west, turns back on itself towards south-west, forming triangular boundary. This natural system of defence was very useful in protecting the city for many attempted invasions by the Portuguese, Dutch and British.
Kandyan dance takes its name from Kandy. The dance imitates movements of animals as there is dancing of elephant and peacock, the costumes of Kandyan dancers are colourful with white, red, yellow and black mixed. The male dancers with their bare chests decorated with exquisitely silver regalia and spectacular headgear; silver bangles are also worn on the arms and ankles. The performance is companied with hectic rhythms of drums called “Geta Beraya”. There are 18 main dances in Kandyan Style.
Kandy - Colombo Airport
115kms and approximately 03 - 04 hours journey please note that visits, sightseeing and stops are not including the time duration.
• After your breakfast on the last day, you will be taken from the hotel to the Bandaranaike International Airport for your flight back home along with unforgettable memories and numerous stories to relate to your friends and family.